Tuesday 26 February 2013

Mie Kangkung Belacan

This is my first recipe post. Therefore, I am gonna post the specialty food from my hometown, Medan (Indonesia), which is Mie Kangkung Belacan.
This noodle is always in my 'must eat' list whenever I go back to Medan.



The recipe is adapted from whattocooktoday

Ingredients (serves: 2)
200 gram of yellow noodle
Two handful of beansprouts
100 gram of kangkung
3 big prawns (deveined and shelled)
6 fish balls (sliced half)
2 tomatoes (quartered)
2 teaspoon of belacan
4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
2 eggs
3 tablespoon of red chili paste
2 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
3 tablespoon of canola oil
1/4 cup of water

Method:
1. Soak the yellow noodle in cold water for a while to get rid of the smell and oil coated on the noodle.

2. Heat canola oil in wok. Saute chopped garlic until fragrant. 

3. Add in prawns and fish ball. Saute until half-cooked, then push to the side of the wok and crack the eggs. Break the yolk a bit and leave it. Let the egg settle for a bit and then mix everything up in the wok


4. Add in red chili paste and belacan. Stir fry
5. Add in water and tomatoes, let it simmer for about 1 minute
6. Add in beansprouts, kangkung, yellow noodles, and sweet soy sauce. Mix well. Cover the wok with lid and let it simmer for 1 minute
7. Remove from heat and serve hot

Tips:
Below is my favorite noodle. I always get my noodles, kway teow and hor fun from this brand. There are no particular reasons on why I love this brand. I first bought it because of the cute monkey logo. Okay, I know I am sucker for cute packaging :p I find them quite nice and the noodles don't have the fishy odor, so i continue buying them. You can find them from either Cold Storage or NTUC Fair Price. I can't remember the exact price but it is around SGD 1 dollar plus.

For the chili paste, you may do it yourself by grinding red chili with a little bit of water in food processor. However, I bought my ready chili paste from Sing Long brand. Unfortunately, I don't have the picture of the chili paste but it is packed in a plastic packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment